Recently, some drawing students were flipping through my sketchbook and they spotted a page with some watercolor lettering. “Hey,” one of them said. “When are you going to teach this?” Well, inspired by that student (and by emails from wonderful people all over the world who asked the same question) I put together my first online class… Drawn & Decorated Watercolor Lettering. The first course launched this summer, and a second session began in November. It is now drawing to a close with students all over the world. It has been a happy journey.
Over the past few weeks, I’ve been receiving emails from folks who missed the earlier sessions. The requests are piling up, and so I have decided to repeat the course — which is work-at-your-own-speed with a roomy four-month window for completion. (You could take off an entire month and still have plenty of extra time to finish the classes without ever feeling rushed.)
Absolutely no previous experience is necessary. In 10 lessons, you’ll learn tips, tricks and techniques for creating beautiful letters. We’ll be drawing and decorating letters with user-friendly materials including watercolor, Pigma Micron pens, pencils and a brush. The supply list is short and simple (you probably already have some of it) and the list will be sent to you upon registration.
Our adventure in hand-lettering will include:
- Easy (and lovely) methods for making decorative and illuminated initials
- Surprisingly simple techniques for Celtic knotwork
- How to use “quickhand” to make your art journals or notebooks more beautiful
- Colorful, whimsical letters based on rustic medieval alphabets: how to draw them, how to use them
- Creative page design that combines lettering and other images
- Vines and flourishes – watercolor letters inspired by Art Nouveau
- Guidelines for designing your own unique personal alphabet
- Combining color, form and attitude to make your letters sing
- And more…
Lessons appear weekly on a private, password-protected website, beginning March 19. They remain there until July 19. You have access to them anytime you wish to work on them. They include:
- My video demo with step-by-step guidance for each technique
- A warm-up lettering exercise for each lesson
- My printable illustrated pdf instruction pages
- Examples for each lesson, created to guide and inspire you
- Personal help when needed, and feedback when each lesson is completed
- Access to a private online discussion forum where you can communicate with other students taking the course and post images if you wish (participation in the forum is optional)
There are four very basic tools you will need to get the greatest benefit from this course:
- A computer, or access to one
- An email account to receive assignments and send your work in for help or guidance
- A way to print out your warm-up exercises and illustrated instruction pages
- A way to send images of your completed projects to me for feedback. You can use either a scanner or a digital camera to create an image, then email it or upload it to my web page.
Complete each lesson at your convenience; you may take up to four months to finish all 10. Scan or upload a photo of your work and email it to me for personal feedback after each lesson. Before you know it, you’ll be creating beautiful watercolor lettering! It’s as simple as that.
Consider inviting a friend or family member to take the course along with you, and make it a time for you to be creative together.
The cost of the entire course is $50, which is payable by personal check, money order or through PayPal. (To use PayPal, let me know you want to join the class and I will send you an invoice with a “Pay Now” button.) Email me to sign up, or if you need any additional information. Happy lettering!