Birds & Butterflies on Vintage Postcards
Mini-course (Five 1-hour video lessons + 12 printable pages)
4 Vintage postcards included $55
Create artwork inspired by the lovely nature journals of Victorian explorers. We’ll start with stamped and postmarked vintage postcards, then add gouache (opaque watercolor) and colored pencil for unique portraits of favorite bird and butterfly species. Keep your video access for a full year from your start date.
What information does the course cover?
Using step-by-step instruction delivered in five 45-minute video lessons, plus 12 full-color printable pdf pages, you’ll learn:
- Design principles to plan your postcard art
- Basic science drawing techniques to draw your subject OR…
- A simple method to transfer your reference image with no drawing needed
- How to paint black butterflies and how to paint light-colored butterflies
- Painting closeup views of birds’ heads and painting whole birds
- Brushstrokes and pencil strokes that create realistic textures
- How to layer and blend gouache and colored pencil
- How to mix colors with confidence
- Fun and interesting choices for background shading
- Tips for shading birds’ eyes and butterflies’ wing patterns
- Ideas for framing or displaying your finished postcard
What supplies do I need?
The course is designed with a very modest, basic supply list. If you have previously taken an online course with me, you already have some (or possible all!) of the supplies. Click here for the list:
Where do I get vintage postcards?
Wherever you are in the world, I will mail you two stamped and postmarked vintage postcards (for painting) and two additional blank vintage postcards (for practicing). If you fall in love with postcard art and decide you want more, you will be able to order them on my website.
Where do I get reference images of butterflies and birds?
A large collection of high-resolution, color reference photos will be posted on our course website. All images will be licensed for our use, so you may freely download them for the class or you are welcome to use your own images, if you prefer.
What if I only want to paint butterflies? Do I have to paint birds, too?
You are completely free to choose your projects. Only butterflies (or only birds) will be fine. Do what makes you happiest.
How does the course work?
All lessons, videos and printables will be located on a private, password-protected website. When you sign up, I will email the site link and password to you.
The course will open on January 20, and when you open the site after that date you will have immediate access to all the course material. You may access the site anytime and work at your own pace. Unlimited instructor guidance and feedback is available by email.
There will also be a private Facebook group for the course, which is completely optional. It’s a place to share comments, links and images with others taking the course around the world.