LIFETIME ACCESS to all videos! Gorgeous illustrated printable pages. Work at your own pace on a password-protected website. Instructor guidance and feedback as often as you like. Draw, paint, and letter with me.
MIDSUMMER FLASH SALE – BUY ANY COURSE, GET A SECOND COURSE FREE expires this Sunday. How it works: purchase any online course — when I email your site link and passwords, I’ll ask for your free course selection. (Free course should be of equal or lesser value.) Gift certificates available for one or both courses!
Scroll down to see all 15 courses…
Birds & Butterflies on Vintage Postcards
Mini-course (Five video lessons + 12 printable pages)
4 Vintage postcards included
LIFETIME ACCESS $65
Create artwork inspired by the lovely nature journals of Victorian explorers. We’ll start with stamped and postmarked vintage postcards, then add gouache (opaque watercolor) and colored pencil for unique portraits of favorite bird and butterfly species. Keep your video access permanently.
What information does the course cover?
Using step-by-step instruction delivered in five 45-minute video lessons, plus 12 full-color printable pdf pages, you’ll learn:
- Design principles to plan your postcard art
- Basic science drawing techniques to draw your subject OR…
- A simple method to transfer your reference image with no drawing needed
- How to paint black butterflies and how to paint light-colored butterflies
- Painting closeup views of birds’ heads and painting whole birds
- Brushstrokes and pencil strokes that create realistic textures
- How to layer and blend gouache and colored pencil
- How to mix colors with confidence
- Fun and interesting choices for background shading
- Tips for shading birds’ eyes and butterflies’ wing patterns
- Ideas for framing or displaying your finished postcard
What supplies do I need?
The course is designed with a very modest, basic supply list. If you have previously taken an online course with me, you already have some (or possible all!) of the supplies. Click here for the list:
Where do I get vintage postcards?
Wherever you are in the world, I will mail you two stamped and postmarked vintage postcards (for painting) and two additional blank vintage postcards (for practicing). If you fall in love with postcard art and decide you want more, old postcards are available at most antique shops and on eBay.
Where do I get reference images of butterflies and birds?
A large collection of high-resolution, color reference photos will be posted on our course website. All images will be licensed for our use, so you may freely download them for the class or you are welcome to use your own images, if you prefer.
What if I only want to paint butterflies? Do I have to paint birds, too?
You are completely free to choose your projects. Only butterflies (or only birds) will be fine. Do what makes you happiest.
How does the course work?
All lessons, videos and printables will be located on a private, password-protected website. When you sign up, I will email the site link and password to you.
You will have immediate access to all the course material. You may access the site anytime and work at your own pace. Unlimited instructor guidance and feedback is available by email.
There is also be a private Facebook group for my students around the world, which is completely optional. It’s a safe place to share comments, links and images with others taking the course.
Drawn & Decorated Watercolor Lettering
10 Lessons – work at your own pace
LIFETIME ACCESS $50
Create original, decorated letters using watercolor, Pigma Micron pens, pencils and a brush. Includes 10 complete projects representing a wide range of styles and historical periods. Topics include illuminated initials, Celtic knotwork, vines and flourishes, Quickhand for your own art journal, creative page design, tips for designing a unique personal alphabet, three easy steps to Deco chrome letters and much more. My first and most popular course.
Questions about Drawn & Decorated Watercolor Lettering? Email me!
Birds in Watercolor and Beyond
10 Lessons – work at your own pace
Explore new watercolor techniques (ranging from realistic to whimsical) as we paint birds from around the world. Topics include brushwork, color mixing, a dramatic ink resist, painting skies and clouds, painting foliage, painting on toned paper and more. No experience needed.
Some photos from Birds in Watercolor and Beyond:
With step-by-step guidance, learn to create “gentle pencil” foundation drawings and then layer rich colors on top to create elegantly detailed, illustration-quality colored pencil images. This course uses detailed video demonstrations of technique, step-by-step illustrated printables and personal feedback on completed projects. We’ll mix up classical drawing theory with a dose of natural history, with topics including drawing feather texture, drawing birds in flight, shading for highlights and shadows, color blending, basic bird anatomy, drawing birds of prey, drawing backgrounds and habitat, drawing birds’ eggs and nests, and much more. No experience necessary, and the supply list is quite basic.
Some photos from Birds in Colored Pencil:
Draw Dogs & Cats
8 Lessons – work at your own pace
LIFETIME ACCESS $50
No experience necessary — the only prerequisite for this course is a love of our four-legged family members. Working in pencil for some projects, black-and-white charcoal pencil for others, develop your drawing skills by learning to create glossy fur, expressive eyes, animals in action and at rest. Topics include drawing puppies and kittens at different stages of growth, four techniques for drawing white fur, drawing realistic dog noses, drawing dog and cat caricatures and more. Licensed reference images are provided for every lesson, or you may use images of your own dog or cat. Very minimal supply list.
Eight video lessons, each accompanied by illustrated printable pages:
- Pencil Language – How to unlock your drawing pencil’s full range of textures and values. How to draw lifelike eyes. Project: create a realistic sketch of a short-haired cat.
- Shiny Fur and Wet Noses – How to draw long, glossy fur. How to draw a perfect wet nose. Project: choose a reference image (or use your own) to draw a long-haired cat or dog.
- Kittens and Puppies – How to draw kittens and puppies, in different growth stages from newborn to young adult. How to draw facial proportions. Project: Pencil sketching exercise, kittens and puppies.
- Black and White Charcoal – Warm-up sketch with tips for using charcoal (kitty sketch). Step-by-step Boston Terrier puppy on toned paper. Project: Black/white dog or cat of your choice in charcoal.
- Brush and Ink – Warm-up sampler exercise, using grays and blacks. How to draw with a brush. Step-by-step border collie in brush and ink. Project: Black/white dog or cat of your choice, in brush and ink technique.
- Caricature and Charcoal Wash – How to dilute charcoal with water to make a lovely, grainy texture. How to draw cute, informal caricatures of dogs and cats. Project: Create a collection of dog and cat caricatures in charcoal wash.
- Drawing White Fur – Learn five different techniques for drawing realistic white fur. Draw a fluffy white kitten. Step-by-step white sheepdog drawing. Project: Use the lesson techniques to draw the white dog or cat of your choice.
- Animals in Action – Understand physical characteristics of moving animals. How to draw realistic paws from many angles. How to use perspective to position animals in your drawings. Finding the dynamic line. Creating preliminary form drawings. Project: Drawing cats and dogs in motion.
Some photos from Draw Dogs and Cats:
Draw Owls: Designed for the Dark
4 Lessons – mini course – work at your own pace
LIFETIME ACCESS $40
Develop fundamental drawing skills in pencil and charcoal as you sketch some of nature’s most efficient (and beautiful) predators. Each week will feature a new technique and a new species of owl. No experience necessary — this class is specially designed for beginning and intermediate artists.
Lessons are information-rich, each consisting of multiple videos and illustrated printable pages, and will be posted on a password-protected web page. Instructor guidance and feedback is available as often as you like, through email.
Supplies for this course:
- 4B drawing pencil, any brand
- Soft kneaded eraser
- Supply of inexpensive sketch paper for practice
- Black charcoal pencil
- White charcoal pencil
- 2 sheets of toned charcoal paper (gray or buff)
Photos from Draw Owls: Designed for the Dark:
Draw Horses & Ponies
10 Lessons – work at your own pace
LIFETIME ACCESS $50
CLICK FOR SUPPLY LIST INFO
I grew up with horses and have always loved drawing them, so I’m very excited about this: Registration is now open for Draw Horses and Ponies. Use pencil, pen, ink and brush to draw horses of all breeds (from tiny Falabella miniatures to enormous draft horses) and life stages from birth to old age. Includes how to draw each gait, as well as jumping, shying and rolling. Draw horses under saddle and in harness. There is a lesson on drawing riders (both Western and English) and one on donkeys and mules. Explore realistic pencil renderings and playful, impressionistic brush drawing. No experience necessary!
The course includes 10 instructional videos, and 30 illustrated pdf pages for you to print and keep. I’ll provide one-on-one guidance and feedback at each step of the journey.
I love drawing fairies. They allow me to combine all my favorite art subjects (children, botanicals, birds, insects, small furry animals) in various whimsical combinations to create a gentle world where you can fish from the top of a Great Blue Heron or hitch a ride on a passing opossum.
Learn about fairy proportion from infant to adolescent, how to show physical and facial expressions, how to draw assorted wings and attire, how to create a background, how to draw fairies in action (and in flight) or at rest. Draw and paint the fairies’ neighbors, birds and mice. Discover techniques for using color to create a rich natural atmosphere.
While this course is open to students at all levels of art experience, you will enjoy it much more if you already have a few basic drawing skills. If you are just starting out, I encourage you to sign up for one of my other drawing courses first … and then take Draw & Paint Fairies in Nature.
Some photos from Draw and Paint Fairies in Nature:
This magical course continues where my Fairies I course left off: We will draw and paint enchanted landscapes, interiors, moonlight, candlelight — and the neighboring inhabitants of the fairy realm, including goblins and trolls, dragons and unicorns, tree spirits, moonlight and candlelight, the Woodwife and more.
NOTE: THIS COURSE IS DESIGNED TO FOLLOW THE FAIRIES I COURSE, AND CONTAINS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MATERIAL.